THE HON JOSH FRYDENBERG MP
Federal Member for Kooyong
Treasurer of Australia
3 May 2019
$1.1 MILLION TO UPGRADE AND REPLACE SPORTING FACILITIES IN KOOYONG
A number of sporting clubs in Kooyong will benefit from a re-elected Morrison Government with significant investment committed by local Liberal MP Josh Frydenberg today, to upgrade and replace much-needed facilities, particularly for female athletes at local sporting clubs.
Hawthorn Football Club which includes the Hawthorn Citz Junior Football Club will receive $275,000 to upgrade the club rooms at Rathmines Road Reserve.
The Victoria Park sporting facilities used by Kew Football Club, Kew Comets Junior Football Club and Kew Cricket Club will receive $250,000 towards upgrading the club rooms and facilities.
The Hawthorn Malvern Hockey Centre will receive $500,000 to improve their women’s changing room facilities and broader pavilion areas.
Additionally a number of local clubs will receive funding to improve existing facilities including:
– Boroondara Eagles Football Club at Macleay Park, Balwyn
- Balwyn Junior Football Club at Balwyn Park, Balwyn
– Riversdale Soccer Club at Frog Hollow Reserve, Camberwell
– Greythorn Falcons Junior Football Club at Greythorn Park, Balwyn North
– Boroondara Cricket Club at Victoria Road Reserve, Hawthorn East
– City of Camberwell Tennis Club, Camberwell
– Camberwell Petanque at Lynden Park, Camberwell
– Hawthorn Bowling Club, Hawthorn
– North Balwyn Cricket Club at Macleay Park, Balwyn North
The upgrades will benefit the entire local community as well as a range of other local clubs, visiting teams and families who attend local sporting events.
In the 2019-20 Budget, the Coalition Government allocated $150 million to remove barriers to participation in sport for women through the provision of better change rooms and access to community swimming facilities. This will include upgrades to facilities for women at sporting grounds and the development or upgrade of community swimming facilities across Australia.
Investments such as these level the playing field for our female athletes and support an active lifestyle and a healthy community. Importantly these investments are the dividend of a strong economy and only made possible through sound budget management.