THE HON JOSH FRYDENBERG MP
Federal Member for Kooyong
Treasurer of Australia
26 April 2019
$1.2 MILLION FOR NEW NETBALL COURTS IN BOROONDARA
A re-elected Coalition Government will provide funding of $1.2 million for an additional four outdoor courts for the Boroondara Netball Association (BNA).
The four additional courts and site upgrades which include compliant lighting will enable the BNA to expand its services and facilities and help meet the ever-growing demand for netball in our local community.
Netball is the most popular participation sport for women in Boroondara, in Victoria and across Australia. A growing number of boys and men are also playing netball.
Netball participation in Boroondara is well above the metropolitan state average, with the BNA supporting more than 3500 members and 4000 players.
The BNA currently has eight outdoor courts, but it is not enough to service netball participation in the area, forcing many residents to seek alternative venues for social and pathway competition.
The four additional courts to be built in Boroondara will enable the BNA to:
- expand scheduling of competition for current demand and growth;
- expand programming for pre-elite coaching and umpiring pathways;
- allow community and school clubs to train after school mid-week;
- allow local school programs such as Girls Sport Victoria and School Sport Victoria to run competitions in Boroondara, rather than travelling long distances; and
- develop social and non-traditional netball participation, such as Rock Up Netball, walking netball, men’s netball and all abilities netball.
I am proud to have supported Boroondara Netball Association’s plans to improve its facilities and I am particularly proud to be able to support this plan to add four new netball courts.
Investments such as this in the BNA are the dividend of a strong economy and only made possible through sound budget management.